Over $1 Billion Recovered for Our Clients. Your Path to Maximum Compensation Starts With a Consultation.
When you suffer an injury that could have been prevented if your landlord had taken reasonable steps to keep you safe, you may feel like you have nowhere to turn. But an experienced apartment negligent security lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve. Property owners have to protect their tenants from foreseeable risks, and when they fail to do so, they can be held liable for the resulting injuries.
If you were the victim of a crime that occurred in your apartment complex, a knowledgeable attorney could help you get justice. The right lawyer will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your case and build a strong claim for damages. With the help of our skilled advocates, you can have a positive outcome and the maximum compensation you need. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you today.
If you have been a victim of negligent security in an apartment complex, contact Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law. We are experienced in handling apartment negligent security cases. You deserve justice. Call (713) 973-8888 or toll-free 1 (800) 444-5000.
Get Help Now
4 Ways Our Apartment Negligent Security Attorneys Can Help Now
If You Have Been Injured in an Attack, We Can Help You Starting Today
- Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation at your convenience. We understand how difficult it may be for victims of negligent security to come forward. We invite you to come to our office and discuss your case. A Houston negligent security attorney will help you understand your rights and how you can get compensated for the damage done to you and your personal property.
- If you need medical treatment, we can help find the right doctors. Getting the medical attention you need after being hurt is a priority. We will work with your insurance company to ensure you get the best medical care possible. If you do not have medical coverage, we also work with doctors who don’t expect to be paid until your case is over. If you have lost a loved one due to an apartment negligent security, we can help you file a wrongful death claim.
- We will investigate what happened and build a strong case. We will obtain a copy of the police report, interview witnesses, collect surveillance video and photographs, and investigate prior criminal activity in the area. We will hire experts to testify that your assault was foreseeable and that adequate security measures were not in place.
- We will negotiate a fair settlement for maximum compensation. Once we have gathered all of the evidence, we will be able to determine the extent of the fault of the apartment complex owner and move forward so you can be compensated for your injuries. We will negotiate for a full settlement of maximum compensation with the apartment owner’s insurance company on your behalf. If they refuse to offer a fair amount, we will file a lawsuit and take them to court.
We will fight for justice on your behalf whether you were attacked, sexually assaulted, or robbed. Victims of negligent security in apartment buildings can call our office for a free consultation with one of our compassionate attorneys.
Why Choose Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law for Your Apartment Negligent Security Case?
Over $1 Billion Recovered for Our Clients since 1985
Winning verdicts and settlements totaling over one billion dollars requires the best attributes of what an excellent attorney should be. Apart from knowledge of the law, the experience of protecting clients for over 35 years, and the skills to put hundreds of cases on trial, it also takes courage.
The attorneys at Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law believe that courage is:
- Not being afraid to stand up to big insurance companies and their team of defense attorneys
- Taking apartment negligent security cases that other attorneys reject
- Filing a lawsuit and arguing your case in front of a judge and 12 jurors
- Making sure that we will do everything in our power to get you the justice and compensation that you deserve
- Keeping you informed of your case and returning phone calls within 24 business hours.
We have the time, the drive, and the resources to see your case until the end of a positive outcome.
Board Certified Personal Injury Trial Lawyers
We believe that our clients get the highest quality legal services when working with Board Certified lawyers. Our apartment negligent security attorneys have received certification from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, which was established by The Supreme Court of Texas to certify lawyers with an extensive and significant experience in select areas of law.
Former Judge with 22 Years on the Bench
A former judge brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to their firm when they enter private practice. After presiding over 10,000 cases during his time as a Municipal Judge for Spring Valley Village, Texas, Attorney Terry Bryant wanted to share his understanding of the court system and become an advocate for justice and fairness.
Terry Bryant and his team of skilled apartment negligent security lawyers use their unique standpoint of the law to navigate through the confusing process of filing paperwork, gathering evidence, and presenting your case in court. They know what it takes to win in court and will fight to get you the best possible outcome.
Apartment Negligent Security Lawyers Should Be Affordable
As an injured crime victim, you might think that you can’t afford a great apartment security lawyer, but you can. We work on a contingency basis, which means that you don’t pay us anything unless we win your case since our fee is deducted from your settlement award and not your pocket. We will never bill you or charge a retainer. Our No Fee Guarantee® is our promise to you for no out-of-pocket costs for our representation.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of an apartment negligent security incident, please contact us today to discuss your legal options. We offer free consultations, and our experienced and compassionate attorneys are here to help you through this trying time. Call (713) 973-8888 for help today.
Can I Sue an Apartment Complex for Negligent Security?
Apartment negligent security falls under the umbrella of premises liability law. The law assumes that property owners have control of their apartment complexes and are therefore responsible for dangerous conditions on their property.
The Supreme Court of Texas continues to find that a negligent security lawsuit’s outcome will depend on foreseeability and unreasonableness. A duty exists only when the risk of criminal conduct is so great that it is both unreasonable and foreseeable.
Was the crime foreseeable?
If you were the victim of a crime in an apartment complex, and you were harmed as a result, then to win your lawsuit against the property owner you must prove the crime you had to suffer through was foreseeable. In other words, you need to show that there was a likelihood that the type of crime committed against you would occur.
In determining whether a crime in an apartment complex should have been foreseen, Texas courts will consider the following factors:
- Has there been previous criminal activity on or near the apartments?
- How recent was the criminal activity?
- How often did crimes occur on or near the apartments?
- How similar was the previous criminal activity to your crime committed on the property?
- Was there any publicity of the previous crimes that would indicate that the apartment complex owner knew or should have known about the crimes?
Is the burden to protect invitees unreasonable for the landowner?
Without question, owners of apartment complexes owe a duty to the people who live in their apartments to protect them from crimes committed by others when the possibility of a crime occurring is foreseeable as discussed above.
However, if the duty to protect people living in their apartments places an unreasonable burden on the landowner to make the apartment complex safe, then it’s possible that the landowner may not be liable for the injuries from crimes that occur on the premises of the apartment complex.
For example, an apartment complex is located in a high-level crime area, and the only way for the landowner to prevent crimes from occurring on the property is to hire full-time off-duty police officers. If the cost of hiring off-duty police officers causes the owner to go out of business, a court may find that the consequence of this added security measure is neither feasible nor desirable, especially if the residents have personal knowledge of the crime rate in the area.
On the other hand, if you can show that merely installing improved lighting that is not cost-prohibitive would reduce or eliminate the risk of injury from crimes in the complex, then a court may find the owner liable because installing better lighting may not pose an unreasonable burden on the owner.
When determining the unreasonableness to a landowner, a court will look at the following factors:
- The risk of injury to an apartment resident including the extent and severity of the injury
- The likelihood of injury to an apartment resident
- The burden on the landowner of requiring them to protect apartment residents.
Perhaps the better question to ask is, can you sue an apartment complex for negligent security and win? Your lawyer’s abilities to argue and present evidence for foreseeability and unreasonableness cannot be overstated. Since Texas law and court decisions can favor the landowner, you should consider hiring an experienced apartment negligence security attorney will be able to see your case through with a potentially favorable outcome, including the much-needed compensation for you or a loved one harmed due to the violence of a third party.
If you’ve been injured in an apartment complex due to negligent security, contact a Texas lawyer today. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Call (713) 973-8888 now for a free consultation.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Apartment Negligent Security
Owners of apartment buildings are required to provide some level of security for their tenants, but, unfortunately, many landlords do not take this responsibility seriously. As a result, innocent people are often put in harm’s way. Our Houston apartment negligent security attorneys answer common questions victims have after they’ve suffered injuries in negligent apartment complexes.
What Is Apartment Negligent Security?
Apartment negligent security is a form of negligence-based premises liability that weighs the foreseeable risk of crime against the unreasonable burden placed on the property owner to guard against the risk of crime.
What is my apartment negligent security case worth?
The following factors can help determine what the potential value of an apartment negligence case can be depending on the specific facts and circumstances of the case:
- The severity of the injuries suffered by the victim
- The amount of economic damages incurred by the victim – i.e., medical bills, loss of income, future medical costs, stolen or damaged property, etc.
- The degree of negligence and fault on the part of the apartment complex.
To find out what you can expect for monetary compensation in an apartment complex negligence lawsuit, an experienced negligent security attorney can evaluate your case and determine its potential value.
Are apartment complexes responsible for break-ins?
Under Texas Property Code Section 92.165, if a landlord does not comply with a tenant’s request to install, repair, change, replace, or rekey the security devices, and the tenant is harmed as a result of a break-in, the tenant may file a lawsuit against the apartment complex to recover actual damages, personal injuries, wrongful death, and in some cases recover punitive damages.
What should I do if I’m attacked in my apartment complex?
- Try to get to a safe place. If you can, go to a neighbor’s apartment or a public area like a lobby.
- Once you are in a safe place, call the police and give them as much information as possible about the attacker and file a police report.
- If you have been injured, get medical attention as soon as possible.
- Speak with an apartment negligent security lawyer in Houston like Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law who can help you through this difficult time.
Are apartment complexes responsible for injuries?
In Texas, apartment complex owners and managers are not automatically liable for all injuries that occur on their property. Liability is generally imposed only if it can be shown that the owner or manager was aware of a dangerous condition and failed to take reasonable steps to fix it.
Does an apartment landlord have to protect me from all crimes?
Since crime is increasingly random and can occur at any time and place, a specific crime at an apartment complex may not be foreseeable. However, a landlord who “retains control over the security and safety of the premises” would have a duty to protect apartment renters from a “general danger” of specific previous crimes on or near the premises.
If you have additional questions, please call us today.
Hiring an Attorney in Houston for your Apartment Negligent Security Case
Devastating effects can result when property owners fail to take measures to protect their tenants. In many cases, victims of violent crimes in apartments are left with physical and emotional scars that may never heal.
Contact Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law today by calling (713) 973-8888 or toll-free 1 (800) 444-5000 so we can help answer all your questions and explain your rights as a victim of apartment negligent security.