Experiencing any kind of injury can be detrimental, but even more so if it was caused by someone or something else. Injuries may not only leave you facing physical challenges but perhaps financial distress as well.
If you’ve been injured, Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law is ready to hear your story.
What Is a “Personal Injury?”
Personal injury law focuses on cases arising from an individual suffering an injury or harm due to another’s negligent or intentional actions. There are many kinds of instances giving rise to personal injury actions, but the most common typically involve auto accidents and work injuries.
If you’ve suffered an injury at the hands of another or after the use of a product, you may be eligible to recover financially. Do not hesitate to discuss your case with a qualified Galveston personal injury attorney.
There are Many Different Types of Personal Injury Claims
“Personal injury” is very broad, encompassing many different types of cases. Our personal injury lawyers handle a multitude of personal injury claims, including:
- Car/truck/motorcycle accidents
- Spinal injuries
- Brain injuries
- Work Injuries
- Nursing home abuse
- Medical malpractice
- Defective devices
- Product liability
- Prescription drug injury
- Wrongful death.
After suffering an injury, it is best to discuss your case with one of our attorneys. At Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law, we have experience with handling cases in Galveston, and we are ready to begin working on your behalf.
We understand the Galveston area. The onetime capital of the Republic of Texas was almost wiped out by a hurricane in 1900. But the community came back strong. Today, much of Galveston’s economy is centered in the tourism, healthcare, shipping, and financial industries. The University of Texas Medical Branch campus with an enrollment of more than 2,500 students is a major economic force of the city. Galveston is home to six historic districts containing one of the largest and historically significant collections of 19th-century buildings in the U.S., with over 60 structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places, maintained by the National Park Service in the United States Department of the Interior.
All these benefits explain Galveston’s enduring status as one of the largest and most important communities in Greater Houston. With so many more people in the area, the chances of someone else causing an injury for you because of negligent behavior on the other party’s part will increase.
Establishing the Elements for Your Personal Injury Case
Compensation in a personal injury claim is available if a Galveston personal injury attorney establishes negligence, or a lack of care, by a preponderance of the evidence. There are basically four elements in a negligence case:
- Duty: Most people, such as noncommercial motorists, have a duty of reasonable care. They must drive defensively and avoid accidents when possible. Commercial operators, like truck drivers, usually have a higher duty of care. In a premises liability claim, like a slip-and-fall claim, the duty of care usually depends on the relationship between the victim and property owner.
- Breach: A breach of duty is a lack of care. Not all lapses constitute a lack of care. Distracted driving is a good illustration. If a motorist looks away for a moment to turn off a smartphone, that’s technically distracted driving. But most Galveston County jurors would not consider such behavior to be a lack of care. If the motorist was engaged with the phone for several blocks, that’s different.
- Cause: This element includes factual and legal causation. Factual cause is but-for causation, as in the injury would not have occurred “but for” a party’s negligence. Negligence need not be the only cause, but it must be the primary cause. Legal causation usually means foreseeability (possibility).
- Damages: The victim must sustain a tangible injury in order to receive compensation. That tangible injury is usually a personal injury, like a broken bone or a head injury. The average hospital bill in such an incident usually exceeds $50,000. So, victims not only deserve compensation for damages — they need it.
A preponderance of the evidence means “more likely than not.” That’s one of the lowest standards of proof in Texas law.
Determining negligence is one of the most important parts of your case. Your Galveston personal injury attorney will thoroughly investigate and build your case to help get you on the path to financial recovery.
How a Galveston Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
Our personal injury lawyer serving Galveston will work with you every step of the way to help get you a successful outcome. From beginning to end, you can count on your attorney to do whatever is necessary to fight for your rights and help you recover financially.
Personal injury cases can be daunting and confusing, but your lawyer is well-equipped to handle anything that comes your way. Your attorney will give you peace of mind and allow you to focus on your physical recovery while they work diligently to get you the compensation you deserve.
We know the League City area. If you suffer an injury because of the negligence of a motorist or someone else while preparing for a day of biking, walking, or running on any of League City’s trails, such as those in Countryside Park, in Rustic Oaks Park, and at the Clear Creek Nature Center, we are ready to help.
Frequently Asked Personal Injury Questions
Consult with Our Galveston Personal Injury Attorneys Today
Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law has had the pleasure of providing clients with exceptional legal representation since 1985. We put you, the client, first, making you feel confident in your decision to work with us. Our team strives to provide top-notch customer service, making our clients feel seen and heard. We serve clients throughout the Houston area, and if you’ve been in an accident in Galveston, turn to us for help.
If you’ve suffered an injury, call us at (713) 973-8888 to schedule your free case review with one of our skilled Galveston personal injury attorneys today.