Though accidents involving passenger vehicles comprise the greatest number of traffic accidents in Texas, motorcycle wrecks on freeways and streets also occur regularly. Because of a lack of protection between riders and the road, motorcyclists usually suffer serious injuries after accidents.
When they file a claim with an insurance company after being hit by a negligent driver, negative stereotypes can prevent motorcyclists from getting the compensation they deserve. Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law can help. Our Houston motorcycle accident lawyers know the hazards riders like you face every day, and we’re not afraid to stand up for your rights.
You don’t have to fight the insurance company alone after your bike accident. Talk to a member of our legal staff about your situation any time, seven days a week, at (800) 444-5000 or (713) 973-8888; or fill out our online form to set up your free consultation.
The Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Those who “ride” are vulnerable to a unique set of dangers on our roads. Even the most experienced are not immune to these dangers. Accidents can happen for a number of different reasons such as:
- Construction zones, road hazards, or debris
- Distracted drivers
- Vehicle drivers who fail to yield the right of way at intersections
- Drivers who change lanes without yielding.
- The simple fact that a motorcyclist can get lost in a “sea of cars” on a crowded freeway or street.
Injuries can be serious, even more so than in a vehicle that’s in an accident at the same speed as the motorcyclist. Common injuries include facial fractures, scrapes, and road rash; broken bones, disfigurement, serious internal injuries, and burns; limb amputations, spinal cord injuries, paralysis, and traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own, our Houston motorcycle accident attorneys can assist in your quest for full and fair compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other wreck-related expenses.
Share on Social
Share / Embed this Infographic
The Numbers Confirm Dangers that Bike Riders Face
- In 2015, 4,976 people died in motorcycle crashes in the U.S., up 8.3% from 4,594 in 2014, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- 496 Texas motorcyclists (operators and passengers) were killed in 2016, and over 2,000 operators and passengers suffered serious injuries.
- In the 14 years from 1997 to 2011, motorcycle accident fatalities more than doubled, while total traffic accident fatalities dropped by 23%, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA).
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also says that motorcyclists are 26 times more likely to die in a crash than passenger car drivers.
- In 2015 – also according to the NHTSA – 40% of motorcyclists killed in traffic crashes were not wearing a helmet.
Not every crash can be prevented, but you can help reduce your chances of serious injury by wearing a helmet every time you ride – it may even save your life. The fourth statistic above bears out that fact.
Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
The Biases That a Texas Motorcycle Accident Victim Must Deal With
Many times a motorcycle rider who is injured in an accident is already at a huge disadvantage, because the insurance companies turn a negative public bias toward motorcyclists to their advantage. This prejudice is quickly leveraged the moment an injured biker files an insurance claim.
Most of it is not based in reality. According to a recent study by the University of South Florida’s Center for Urban Transportation Research, 60% of collisions between cars and motorcycles are caused by the driver of the car. That study reinforces the groundbreaking 1981 Hurt Report, which found that two-thirds of vehicle/motorcycle collisions were caused by the vehicle’s driver.
But that doesn’t stop insurance adjusters from discriminating against motorcyclists to automatically deny their claims. And since the burden is on you – the injured motorcyclist – to prove the vehicle driver’s negligence, it’s also on you to disprove an insurance company’s claim that you’re not a “devil-may-care biker,” and to persuade them that you deserve compensation for all damages caused by the negligent driver.
Make sure your legal rights to collect all of your legal damages are being protected after a motorcycle accident. At Terry Bryant, we’ll handle the investigation and paperwork for your claim so you can focus on getting better. Call us at (800) 444-5000 or fill out our contact form to arrange a free review of your case. If you become a client, we handle nearly everything — and you owe us nothing unless we are successful at securing compensation for your damages.
One of my kids was involved in a traffic accident, and the attorneys at Terry Bryant took great care of us. Their knowledge and expertise resulted in a great outcome. Thank you! Robin G. Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law