Statistically, the average American driver will be involved in three to four vehicle crashes throughout his or her lifetime. The odds of dying in a vehicle crash are one in 606, greater than the odds of dying due to a fire, fall or drowning. Judging from these numbers, the chances are good that you have personally been involved in at least one vehicle crash and know someone who lost their life in a road accident.
Around 180 vehicle accidents occur every day Houston. While many are small fender-benders, several cause serious injury and death. Over 90 percent of vehicle crashes are caused by human error. In other words, people make mistakes that have disastrous consequences.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a vehicle crash because of a driver’s mistakes, you can take legal action to get the compensation you deserve. Injuries in vehicle accidents are costly and painful. A personal injury claim offers a tool to victims of negligence to receive payment for the costs suffered in a crash.
At Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law, we have helped thousands of clients file personal injury claims. Terry Bryant is a former judge and has over 30 years of experience in these types of cases. Let us put our experience to work for you. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Fast Facts on Vehicle Accidents in Texas
In 2015, the most recent year for which statistics are available:
- There were more than 66,000 vehicle crashes in Houston.
- Those Houston vehicle crashes caused 1,310 incapacitating injuries and 203 deaths.
- In Texas, a person is killed every two and a half hours on our roads.
- A person is injured every two minutes and eight seconds.
- There has not been a deathless day on Texas roads since November of 2000.
Why Do Vehicle Crashes Occur?
Nearly all vehicle accidents are the result of mistakes. In many cases, one single crash can be caused by several factors. For example, if a drunk driver is texting while driving and causes a serious vehicle crash, the crash is both an impaired driving accident and a distracted driving accident.
These are some of the most common causes of vehicle crashes:
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Distracted driving
- Speeding or traveling too fast for conditions
- Improper shifting of lanes or failure to signal before changing lanes
- Failure to adhere to traffic signs or signals
- Following another vehicle too closely
- Failure to drive appropriately for weather conditions
- Defective vehicle parts.
Types of Injuries in Automobile Accidents
Vehicle crash-related injuries can range from minor bumps and bruises to disabilities and death. Here are some of the most serious injuries a crash victim may suffer in a vehicle accident:
- Multiple bone fractures – Crashes that cause breaks to multiple bones can lead to permanent physical impairment. Examples include wrist, ankle or hip fractures.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Vehicle crashes are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can lead to difficulties with memory, speech, learning and other cognitive functions.
- Spinal cord injuries – The spinal cord is a vital part of the human anatomy, carrying messages to and from the brain and dictating virtually all bodily functions. One single, serious blow can disrupt a person’s basic bodily functions and cause permanent disability.
- Paralysis – Paralysis is often the result of a spinal cord injury. It severely limits a person’s quality of life and impacts their ability to perform basic functions and earn an income.
- Loss of limbs or amputations – The loss of a limb is a painful, traumatic experience. It often leads to expensive ongoing medical treatment and a diminished work capacity.
- Burns – Burns are perhaps the most painful experience a person can suffer. They are also extremely costly to treat.
- Organ damage – Internal injuries are dangerous because they are usually difficult to detect immediately following a crash. They can lead to a complete shutdown of vital bodily functions and are often fatal
- Wrongful death – When a negligent driver causes the death of another person, the impact on surviving family members is crippling. Families experience incredible emotional pain and suffering, in addition to dealing with the fallout of medical bills and end-of-life costs.
How Vehicle Injuries Impact Victims
Injuries are not just painful and traumatic — they also have a very real impact on a person’s financial livelihood. Injuries lead to thousands of dollars in medical care, lost hours at work, loss of work capacity and several other economic repercussions. These expenses hit a victim when they are at their most vulnerable. Coping with the costs are even more difficult when they limit a person’s ability to earn a steady income.
Infographic: Vehicle Crashes in Texas
Share on Social
[wp_social_sharing social_options=’facebook,twitter,googleplus,linkedin,pinterest’ facebook_text=’Share on Facebook’ twitter_text=’Share on Twitter’ googleplus_text=’Share on Google+’ linkedin_text=’Share on Linkedin’ pinterest_text=”Share on Pinterest” icon_order=’f,t,g,l,p’ show_icons=’1′ before_button_text=” text_position=” social_image=”]
Share / Embed this Infographic
You Have Legal Options
When a negligent driver causes a victim serious harm, the law provides a path for that victim to receive compensation for the costs of their injury. Personal injury claims can help a victim win payment for pain, suffering, medical costs, property damage and lost income in a vehicle crash. Surviving family members of a deceased vehicle crash victim can take similar measures by filing wrongful death claims.
These legal tools are invaluable to a victim and their loved ones. While no amount of money will make a seriously injured person whole again, these claims offer the opportunity to have financial stability that would otherwise be impossible in the wake of a life-altering injury.
The Houston vehicle accident attorneys at Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law have decades of experience handling these types of cases. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a vehicle crash in Texas, our team will work tirelessly on your behalf, fighting for your best interests and making sure that your rights are protected. Contact Terry Bryant Accident & Injury law today to schedule a free consultation of your case.