Maritime Injury Lawyer Houston

Maritime Injury Lawyer

Talk to our Attorneys about a Maritime Injury Lawsuit

When you’re suffering after a maritime injury, it’s important to hire a Houston maritime injury lawyer who know the complex laws concerning your case. Maritime claims are different from workers’ compensation cases, and determining what types of benefits you may be owed can be difficult, as there may be many factors involved.

Maritime accidents can lead to serious injuries that may leave you too hurt to work for weeks, months, or even years. And when you’re not getting the paycheck your family relies on and you have expensive medical bills to pay, you may feel like you have nowhere to turn. Don’t give up—get in touch with Terry Bryant today.

Why Contact a Maritime Injury Lawyer?

Maritime workers might find that they are in an unfortunate position after a serious workplace injury. Maritime workers aren’t given traditional workers’ compensation benefits like other types of employees. Attorneys, including product liability lawyers, help maritime workers find a path to get the compensation they deserve, whether it’s through the Jones Act or a third-party liability claim. We want to help you find the best way to get the payment you deserve.

You can’t work because you were hurt on the job. You likely face medical bills, pain, and lost income. You deserve compensation, and our maritime injury lawyers are here to help. Contact the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant today to schedule a free case assessment. You can reach us through our online contact form, chat with us, or give us a call.

Types of Maritime Workers

Many different occupations are entitled to benefits and protections provided by maritime law. Here are a few examples of people we represent in maritime injury cases…

  • Seamen
  • Deckhands
  • Engineers
  • Cooks
  • Tankermen

If you belong to one of these categories or any other classification of maritime worker, and you want to consider your legal options, we encourage you to contact the Houston maritime injury attorneys at the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant. We offer free consultations so we can hear your story, give you an initial assessment, and decide whether we are the right fit for your case.

Cases the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant Has Handled

Our Houston maritime injury attorneys have years of experience in this area of the law. We understand the complexities of maritime law, and we use our knowledge to get clients the payment they deserve. We have experience in…

  • Jones Act Cases
  • Offshore Drilling Accidents
  • Faulty Tugboat or Barge Equipment
  • Cruise Ship Accidents in International Waters.

If you’ve suffered a maritime injury and want compensation, you are entitled to explore all your legal options. Contact us today to get started.

What is the Jones Act?

The Jones Act is a federal law that holds employers of maritime workers responsible for paying damages to workers injured as a result of the negligence of the employer, including the negligence of a co-worker. A full range of damages are available to the injured worker, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, mental anguish, etc.

What is Maintenance and Cure?

Maintenance and cure requires a ship owner or maritime worker’s employer to pay for an injured workers living expenses and medical bills while recovering form injuries sustained in the service of a vessel. If the responsible party fails to pay the proper amount of maintenance and cure, an injured maritime worker may have a separate claim for punitive damages. Seeking legal counsel from an experienced ship accident lawyer can be essential in ensuring your rights are protected during this process.


When you call Terry Bryant after your maritime accident, you can count on us to:

  • Investigate Your Accident

    We know maritime accidents. We’ll investigate your injury and determine how and why it happened. Our maritime injury lawyers have the experience to gather the evidence and build a strong claim for you.

  • Protect Your Rights

    When you file a claim for a maritime injury, several parties may dispute your claim to avoid paying you benefits. At Terry Bryant, we’ll help make sure your rights are protected throughout the life of the case by standing up to the insurance company and other parties.

  • Answer Your Questions

    Filing a claim for maritime injuries can be daunting, as there are many laws and regulations for the maritime industry. We’re here to answer your questions at any time. It’s our goal to keep you as informed as possible about the status of your case.


In general, the Statute of Limitations for maritime cases is three years from the date of the incident. In cases involving Federally-owned vessels, minors or mentally incompetent individuals, and wrongful death cases, the laws can vary. Read more about Statutes of Limitations.

If you’re unsure whether you are still eligible to file for compensation, contact the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant immediately at 1 (800) 444-5000 and locally at (713) 973-8888, or fill out a free initial consultation form.


The major difference between workers’ compensation benefits and maritime law is that maritime workers have the right to sue for compensation in the event of personal injury or wrongful death. If you’ve lost a loved one due to a maritime-related incident, consulting with a wrongful death lawyer is essential to navigate the complexities of seeking compensation and justice. The compensation is also typically higher, due to the dangerous nature of the work. Read more about maritime injury laws or consult with a workers’ compensation lawyer for specific guidance on your case.

If you’re unsure whether you need to file for state workers’ compensation or maritime benefits, contact the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant at 1 (800) 444-5000 or fill out a FREE initial consultation form.


Yes. Under Federal maritime law, if you are a “seaman” by definition , you may take a civil action in the appropriate U.S. District Court against your employer for negligence, willful misconduct, failure to uphold standards of seaworthiness, or failure to properly man a ship.

If you are not a “seaman” by definition but you work in a nautical industry, you may have rights to sue for compensation under the Longshore Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act.

If you believe you have a maritime injury claim, contact the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant right away. Call our team, or fill out an free initial consultation form, which is completely confidential.


The rule of thumb for determining whether you are a seaman is: if you spend more than 30% of your time working on a vessel in navigation, you are considered a seaman and are eligible for Jones Act benefits. If you are a longshoreman, harbor worker, or other on-shore maritime employee, you may qualify for benefits under the Longshore Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act.

However, each claim is different. It’s best to consult with a Houston maritime injury lawyer who can tell you whether or not you qualify for Jones Act, Longshore, or workers’ compensation benefits. Read more about who qualifies as a “seaman” under Jones Act law.

To find out whether you qualify for benefits, contact the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant at 1 (800) 444-5000 or fill out a free initial consultation form.


Under maritime laws, your employer is required to provide both medical care if you are hurt on the job—including prescriptions, hospital stays, medical devices, etc.—as well as living costs until the voyage is complete, whether you are still on the vessel or not. These costs can include grocery and utility bills, along with other reasonable living expenses. You have the right to see a medical professional of your choice that is convenient to you.

Contact our skilled Houston maritime injury lawyers at the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant today and let us help you get the medical benefits you need.


To protect your future rights, file a report of your injury with your employer as soon as possible after it happens. The master of the vessel is required to make an entry in the official logbook for each illness or injury to a seaman on the vessel, including the nature of the illness and injury, and the medical treatment provided. The master of the vessel is also required to record any death that may occur, including the cause and details concerning the seaman’s money and property.

These logbook entries are to be made as soon as possible and, if not made on the day of the incident, the entry needs to be dated and include the date the incident happened. If the injury, illness, or death happened prior to the vessel’s arrival at the final port of discharge, the entry shall not be made later than 24 hours after the arrival. The master of the vessel and the chief mate, or another seaman, are required to sign the entry.

Get In Touch With a Houston Maritime Injury Lawyer

Contact Terry Bryant after your maritime injury. We’re familiar with the ins and outs of the Jones Act, Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, and other maritime laws. That knowledge and experience can make the difference in your case. Call 1 (800) 444-5000 today or locally at 713-973-8888, or fill out a free initial consultation form and get help from a skilled maritime injury attorney in Houston, Texas.

Attorney Terry Bryant

Attorney Terry BryantTerry Bryant is Board Certified in personal injury trial law, which means his extensive knowledge of the law has been recognized by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, setting him apart from many other injury attorneys. The 22 years he spent as a Municipal Judge, Spring Valley Village, TX also provides him keen insight into the Texas court system. That experience also helps shape his perspective on personal injury cases and how they might resolve. This unique insight benefits his clients. [ Attorney Bio ]