Talk to an Experienced Breast Implant Lawyer about a Claim
Textured breast implants have been linked to a rare form of cancer. If you have textured implants or tissue expanders that are textured and you are ill, you may be eligible to bring a textured breast implant lawsuit. Breast implants associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL), a subtype of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, are most often textured implants, rather than smooth ones. BIA-ALCL is not a form of breast cancer. It is a cancer of the immune system. It is usually found in tissue near the implant but can also spread through a person’s entire body.
When Was the Link Between BIA-ALCL and Textured Breast Implants Identified?
The connection between textured implants and BIA-ALCL was recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2016, with the first case being documented nearly a decade earlier, in 1997. The following year the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) stated that at least nine deaths caused by this cancer occurred in the United States. In July 2019, the FDA released data on cases involving 33 deaths.
The FDA has since issued recalls on some textured implants that are especially dangerous. But for people who have the implant and are sick, the damage has already been done.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE TYPES OF BREAST IMPLANTS UNDER RECALL
If you have textured breast implants or textured tissue expanders and have been diagnosed with BIA-ALCL, our dedicated attorneys can advise you about your right to pursue financial recourse. Call a skilled breast implant lawyer at the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant in Houston to set up a free consultation. We can be reached at (713) 973-8888 or toll-free 1 (800) 444-5000.
Fighting cancer is expensive. When your health has been compromised, don’t wait to pursue compensation with the help of an experienced breast implant lawyer.
Why Bring a Breast Implant and Cancer Lawsuit?
How BIA-ALCL Is Linked to Textured Breast Implants and Expanders
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) website, BIA-ALCL occurs most often in people who have breast implants with textured surfaces. There are currently no known cases caused by smooth breast implants. The cancer can occur with both saline and silicone textured implants. It also doesn’t matter whether the patient received the textured implants for cosmetic reasons or as part of reconstructive surgery after breast cancer.
The ASPS says the rare cancer is “highly treatable.” This can be good news for people who have BIA-ALCL if they respond well to the treatment. While many do, the sad truth is that people have died from the disease.
Why You Should You Bring a Breast Implant Lawsuit
Cancer treatment is also very expensive. An article in AARP Magazine says the average cost of treatment is $150,000. Other sources say it is even higher. Cancer drugs alone can cost tens of thousands per month.
When you’re an innocent patient who has textured implants or tissue expanders and didn’t know they could make you sick, you shouldn’t have to be on the hook for the cost of medical treatment. Through a breast implant cancer lawsuit, you may be able to get compensation to pay your medical bills and living expenses when you can’t work. Call us today at (713) 973-8888 to learn more.
How Much Money Can I Get in a Textured Breast Implant Lawsuit?
How much you could get in a textured breast implant lawsuit is based on your losses, or damages. Typical damages in medical device and drug related lawsuits include compensation for:
- Healthcare costs that include doctor bills, hospital stays, surgeries, prescription drugs, and other medical expenses
- Lost wages for time missed at work while you undergo treatment
- Loss of future earning capacity if you can’t work for the long-term because you are too ill
- Pain and suffering for your physical pain and mental suffering and trauma.
Sometimes lawsuits also ask for punitive damages. Punitive damages are meant to punish manufacturers when they’re especially negligent.
We can’t estimate how much money you might be able to ask for in a claim until we learn the details of your unique case. You can arrange a free, no-obligation consultation with an experienced breast implant lawyer from the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant by calling (713) 973-8888 or toll-free 1 (800) 444-5000.
How Does a Textured Breast Implant Lawsuit Work?
If you decide to bring a lawsuit after you have consulted with our textured breast implant team, we’ll file the necessary paperwork. We’ll gather the evidence needed to show that the textured implants or tissue expanders caused your cancer. It will include documentation about the type of implants you have and how long you’ve had them. You will also need your medical records that show you were diagnosed with BIA-ALCL, as well as other information linking the textured implants or expanders to your cancer.
Lawsuits can result in settlements with manufacturers of defective medical devices or they can end up going to trial before a jury. At the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant, we thoroughly prepare cases as if they are going to trial, which can sometimes influence companies to offer fair settlements rather than spend time in court.
Types of Breast Implant Cases Our Attorneys Handle
Our team is ready to provide aggressive, skilled legal representation for clients who …
- have a diagnosis of anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL), and
- have textured breast implants or
- have textured tissue expanders (along with smooth implants).
We can’t guarantee how your lawsuit will progress. But we can tell you more specifically how things might happen once we learn the details of your case. Call us today at (713) 973-8888 if you have textured breast implants and have been diagnosed with cancer.
Which Textured Breast Implants Have Been Recalled?
In July 2019, the FDA recalled several types of textured breast implants and tissue expanders made by the multibillion-dollar drug and device maker Allergan. While the brand name Allergan is most frequently associated with the breast implant recall, there are other company and brand names associated with breast implant cancer cases as well (all now linked to Allergan).
If you have older textured breast implants sold by McGhan or Inamed, Allergan is now responsible for those implants because it purchased those two companies and assumed liability associated with their products. Both McGhan and Inamed textured implants are part of the recall, too. In 2020, Allergan was bought by the pharmaceutical company AbbVie, but the company name Allergan is still associated with the recalled products.
What Type of Recall Was Issued for the Textured Breast Implants?
The recall was identified as a Class I recall, which the FDA says is the most serious type of recall. It went on to say that use of the devices may cause serious injuries or death.
The recall included these Allergan Natrelle® BIOCELL Textured Products:
- Allergan Natrelle® Saline-Filled Textured Breast Implants
- Allergan Natrelle® Silicone-Filled Textured Breast Implants
- Allergan Natrelle® 410 Highly Cohesive Anatomically Shaped Silicone- Filled Textured Breast Implants
- Allergan Natrelle® 133 Plus Tissue Expander
- Allergan Natrelle® 133 Tissue Expander with Suture Tabs
There are different styles within each of these types: a complete list follows below. If you think you may have these implants or expanders, check with the doctor who performed your surgery for more information.
Allergan textured implants are not the only textured breast implants on the market. However, Allergan textured implants are connected to the majority of the cases of the BIA-ALCL, along with the older implants produced by McGhan and Inamed, the two breast implant manufacturers purchased by Allergan. An FDA analysis found that the Allergan textured implants were six times more likely to cause the cancer than other textured implants. Out of approximately 570 reported cases of BIA-ALCL in the world, 481 people had Allergen textured implants.
List of Recalled Textured Breast Implants
The FDA provides a full list of the recalled textured breast implant products. They include:
Allergan Natrelle® Saline-Filled Textured Breast Implants
The following four styles have been recalled. They are formerly the McGhan RTV Saline-Filled Mammary Implant.
- Style 163: BIOCELL® Textured Shaped Full Height, Full Projection Saline Breast Implants
- Style 168: BIOCELL® Textured Round Moderate Profile Saline Breast Implants
- Style 363: BIOCELL® Textured Shaped Moderate Height, Full Projection Saline Breast Implants
- Style 468: BIOCELL® Textured Shaped Full Height Moderate Projection Saline Breast Implants
Allergan Natrelle® Silicone-Filled Textured Breast Implants
The following eighteen styles have been recalled. They are formerly the Inamed Silicone-Filled Breast Implants.
- Style 110: BIOCELL® Textured Round Moderate Projection Gel-Filled Breast Implants
- Style 115: BIOCELL® Textured Round Midrange Projection Gel-Filled Breast Implants
- Style 120: BIOCELL® Textured Round High Projection Gel-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRL: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRLP: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRM: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRF: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TRX: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Responsive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCL: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCLP: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCM: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCF: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TCX: Natrelle Inspira BIOCELL® Textured Cohesive Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSL: Natrelle BIOCELL® Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSLP: Natrelle BIOCELL® Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSM: Natrelle BIOCELL® Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSF: Natrelle BIOCELL® Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
- Style TSX: Natrelle BIOCELL® Textured Soft Touch Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
Natrelle® 410 Highly Cohesive Anatomically Shaped Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
The following twelve textured styles have been recalled:
- Style 410FM
- Style 410FF
- Style 410MM
- Style 410 MF
- Style 410 FL
- Style 410 ML
- Style 410 LL
- Style 410 LM
- Style 410 LF
- Style 410 FX
- Style 410 MX
- Style 410 LX
Allergan Tissue Expanders with BIOCELL® Texturing
The following two products have been recalled:
- Natrelle® 133 Plus Tissue Expander
- Natrelle® 133 Tissue Expander with Suture Tabs
What Are Breast Implant Cancer Symptoms?
If you have textured breast implants, you should consider speaking with your doctor about the potential risk to your health. This is especially critical if you are showing any symptoms of BIA-ALCL. Most cases of the disease occur many years after the implants are put in.
Possible symptoms of the disease include:
- Pain near the implant site
- Breast enlargement
- Lump in the breast or armpit
- Asymmetry, meaning the breasts are not the same shape or size
- Fluid collecting around the implant—which may happen from one to 10 years after implant surgery
- Rash on the skin of the breasts
- Hardening of the breast.
Anyone with textured implants who has these symptoms should be checked out by a doctor right away. If caught early, according to cancer specialists, the disease is often curable. Don’t take chances with your health by waiting to get medical care for BIA-ALCL.
If you need legal advice related to your textured breast implants, call our compassionate lawyers today to schedule a free consultation. Our number is (713) 973-8888. You can also contact us through our online form.
What If I Have a Cancer-Causing Textured Implant?
If it’s found that you have an Allergan or other implant that could cause cancer, your doctor may not advise removing it if you are found to not have the disease. Removal surgery can be very invasive, so the doctor may advise regular checkups and monitoring for symptoms.
If you do have the disease, your doctor may recommend surgery to remove the implants and that you undergo radiation, chemotherapy and potentially other cancer treatments. These are general treatments that have been used in other breast implant cancer cases. The specific treatment you receive will be determined between you and your doctor.
As attorneys, we can’t advise you about medical treatments, but we can work toward getting you compensated for your illness that was caused by a product manufacturer’s negligence. Don’t hesitate to contact us when you have been diagnosed with cancer related to your textured implants.
Our compassionate attorneys understand the fear that you are feeling. We also know that while the compensation you might receive from a lawsuit won’t eliminate the distress you are experiencing from your illness, it can help alleviate stressful financial concerns.
Get Advice from a Houston Breast Implant Lawyer
If you have Allergan textured implants, or another manufacturer’s textured implant and have been diagnosed with BIA-ALCL, we will work toward getting you compensation so you can pay your medical and other bills. Don’t hesitate to call us today at (713) 973-8888 or toll-free 1 (800) 444-5000 to arrange a free consultation. Additionally, there is no fee if there is no recovery.
When big pharmaceutical companies develop products that put people’s health and lives at risk, they deserve to pay the price. Our lawyers at the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant have extensive experience taking on big corporations whose products harm people. We won’t back down in fighting to get you compensation for the serious harm you’ve been caused. You should not suffer because of a large corporation’s negligence.