Experienced Houston Diabetes Drug Injuries Lawyers
Few diseases are as debilitating as diabetes; drug injuries can worsen the deadly condition. It is also growing in prevalence at worrying rates, so pharmaceutical companies have rushed several medications to market in the last decade. However, many of these medications have only been lightly tested and have not received the scrutiny from their creators that they require. As a result, many patients have been harmed by treatment, and some have even died due to medication complications. Unsurprisingly, many victims seek legal action against medication manufacturers, asserting that these manufacturers did too little to protect patients against severe side effects.
Need legal representation? Contact Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law today at (713) 973-8888.
The Ozempic Controversy: Holding Manufacturers Accountable
Ozempic® and other similar medications have recently come under heightened scrutiny due to emerging concerns regarding their potential side effects. These drugs, designed to manage diabetes, are intended to improve the quality of life for those living with this chronic condition. However, some individuals have experienced severe side effects, prompting concerns about the safety and effectiveness of these treatments.
Understanding the Concerns
Ozempic and related drugs belong to a class of medications known as GLP-1 receptor agonists. While they have demonstrated effectiveness in controlling blood sugar levels, they have also been linked to various side effects, some of which cause significant concern. Some of the potential complications associated with these medications include:
- Pancreatic Complications: Reports of pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer, and pancreas inflammation have raised concerns among health professionals and regulatory agencies.
- Cardiovascular Risks: There is ongoing research into potential heart-related issues, including heart attacks and other cardiovascular complications, which have been associated with some GLP-1 agonists.
- Kidney Injuries: Some diabetes medications, including Ozempic, have been linked to an increased risk of kidney damage and related issues.
- Severe Gastrointestinal Distress: Patients taking GLP-1 agonists may experience severe nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Pancreatitis: Inflammation of the pancreas, which can lead to serious complications.
- Thyroid C-Cell Tumors: Studies have raised concerns about the potential link between these drugs and the development of thyroid tumors.
- Hypoglycemia: Dangerously low blood sugar levels can lead to loss of consciousness or other serious health issues.
What Are the Risks Facing Patients Taking a Diabetes Drug?
Injuries associated with these medications range in severity, but they can sometimes be life-threatening. This also depends on how the medication works. Most, like Januvia®, Byetta®, Janumet®, and Victoza®, are called incretin mimetics. These medications behave like certain hormones in the body that are primarily used to force glucose secretion, enabling the body to more quickly uptake blood glucose. A newer medication known as Invokana® employs a completely different mechanism of action. Instead of stimulating glucose release, Invokana blocks the protein responsible for transporting glucose to the kidneys for reabsorption. This forces the body to pass the glucose through urine and eliminate it from the body.
Incretin mimetics are linked to several serious complications, including pancreas inflammation, unstable blood pressure, and tachycardia. They are also associated with deadly acute pancreatitis, including hemorrhagic and necrotizing pancreatitis. Byetta is also linked to kidney failure, heart failure, and thyroid cancer, making it particularly troublesome.
Invokana has only been available for a few years but is already associated with some troubling medical complications. Invokana works by passing glucose through urine, but its mechanism of action forces the body to pass more urine, resulting in a higher chance of dehydration and bladder issues. In some cases, the process can cause a drop in insulin levels and force the body into a state known as diabetic ketoacidosis, or DKA. DKA is marked by increasing acidity of the patient’s blood, which can kill within 24 hours.
What Is the Legal Process for Those Harmed by a Diabetes Drug?
Injuries associated with Ozempic, Januvia, Byetta, Janument, Victoza, and Invokana can leave lasting complications, and many victims have to undergo expensive medical treatment to survive. Victims filing suits against the manufacturers are asserting that more research should have been done on the medications. They also assert that the manufacturers should have reacted faster to emerging research on their products. Consulting with a medical malpractice lawyer can provide insight into the legal avenues available to victims.
In the coming years, patients who have taken a diabetes drug and suffered injuries will likely secure several judgments from the involved pharmaceutical companies. Victims can review their legal options with the help of a drug injury attorney and decide on the best course of action.
Why You Need a Diabetes Drug Injuries Lawyer
If you or a loved one have suffered injuries or complications due to diabetes drugs, seeking legal representation is essential. Pharmaceutical companies are responsible for ensuring their products are safe, and when they fail in this duty, those affected deserve compensation for their pain, suffering, and financial losses.
Our experienced diabetes drug injury lawyers are dedicated to holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for their actions. We understand the complexities of these cases and will work tirelessly to build a strong claim on your behalf.
Why Choose Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law?
Our team of Diabetes Drug Injuries Lawyers has a proven track record of successfully representing clients who have suffered injuries due to pharmaceutical negligence. We are dedicated to seeking justice on your behalf and holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for their actions.
Here’s what you can expect when you choose Terry Bryant:
- Experience: Our attorneys understand pharmaceutical litigation and have decades of experience with complex litigation.
- Compassion: We understand the emotional and physical toll injuries can take on you and your family. We provide compassionate support throughout the legal process.
- Expertise: Our legal team keeps abreast of the latest developments in diabetes drug litigation, ensuring that we are well-equipped to represent your interests effectively.
- Client-Centered Approach: We take the time to understand your unique situation, working closely with you to develop a personalized legal strategy.
How We Can Help
Our legal team will thoroughly investigate the extent of your injuries and establish a clear link between your diabetes drug use and the harm you’ve suffered.
We will negotiate with the responsible parties, including pharmaceutical companies and their insurers, to secure a fair settlement that covers your medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering.
If a fair settlement cannot be reached, we are prepared to take your case to court and fight for your rights in a court of law.
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has suffered from the adverse effects of Ozempic or related diabetes medications, don’t hesitate to seek legal representation. Contact our experienced Diabetes Drug Injuries Lawyers at Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law for a confidential consultation. Call us now at (713) 973-8888.