TEXAS MESOTHELIOMA LAWYER
WHAT IS ASBESTOS?
Asbestos is a mineral that was used in the construction materials of many homes and buildings. Its use was banned by the United States Environmental Protection Agency in 1989 after exposure to it was discovered to cause mesothelioma, an aggressive and potentially deadly form of cancer.
If you or a loved has been harmed by asbestos or has developed mesothelioma, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your injury. Call the Houston mesothelioma lawyers at the accident and injury law office of Terry Bryant today at (800) 444-5000 or fill out a FREE initial consultation form.
ARE THERE DIFFERENT TYPES OF MESOTHELIOMA?
There are three main types of mesothelioma:
- Pleural mesothelioma is the most common type of mesothelioma and affects the lungs and chest cavity. Symptoms include chest pain, shortness of breath, coughing, difficulty swallowing, and weight loss.
- Peritoneal mesothelioma attacks the stomach and causes abdominal pain and swelling.
- Pericardial mesothelioma is the rarest form of mesothelioma and affects the lining of the heart and surrounding areas.
WHAT’S THE PROGNOSIS FOR MESOTHELIOMA?
By the time mesothelioma symptoms appear, the disease is usually in an advanced stage and has spread to nearby lymph nodes and other organs. Depending on the severity of their cancer and how far it has spread in their bodies, some patients may live for less than a year after their diagnosis.
HOW DOES MESOTHELIOMA PROGRESS?
Like other cancers, progression of mesothelioma is marked by four stages:
- Stage IIn the beginning, mesothelioma is only present in the pleura—the lining of the chest or abdominal wall—and also may develop in the diaphragm on the affected side of the body.
- Stage IIAt stage II, the cancer starts to spread and may affect the esophagus, heart, and lymph nodes in the chest.
- Stage IIIBy stage III, cancer cells begin to penetrate the chest wall and diaphragm into the abdomen. Mesothelioma may be detected in lymph nodes throughout the body.
- Stage IVDuring the final stages of the disease, the cancer spreads to other major organs in the abdomen and chest.
HOW CAN A LAWYER HELP WITH MY MESOTHELIOMA CASE?
A Houston mesothelioma lawyer from Terry Bryant can help you and your family determine when and where your exposure to asbestos might have taken place. We can investigate your home and your workplace for potential asbestos contamination, and we’ll do everything we can to hold the responsible parties accountable for your injury and to get you compensation for your medical treatments.