Accidents involving semi-trailer trucks can happen to anyone, and knowing when to get an 18 wheeler accident lawyer in Houston is extremely important. Incidents involving semis can be highly dangerous, ranging from major auto damage to serious personal injury—or worse. If one is involved in such an incident, not only will he or she have to deal with the immediate fallout of the incident itself, but they will also have to navigate the complex proceedings that will follow.
Being prepared is the first step. By knowing what to do if involved in such an accident and when to contact an 18 wheeler accident lawyer in Houston with knowledge of these accidents, an individual already has the advantage.
IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE
As Houston drivers know, semis—also known as 18 wheelers, big rigs, and tractor trailers—are the whales of the road, often seen surrounded by a sea of tightly-packed smaller vehicles. These smaller vehicles are at an extreme disadvantage when something goes wrong.
There are many ways in which these wrecks can occur. A vehicle may drive into an area around a truck that the big rig driver cannot see—a so-called “blind spot”. Or the truck can experience vehicle problems, such as brake or tire failure. In addition, cargo may come loose and shift, or a truck may be overloaded.
Truck driver error is frequently to blame. Attempting to meet tight deadlines, drivers may be tired, drowsy, or even fall asleep at the wheel. A semi driver may be driving under the influence, whether drugs or alcohol. A driver may also simply be aggressive and prone to driving recklessly, perhaps driving too close or angrily tailgating much smaller vehicles.
No matter the case, big rig accidents are not like a regular wrecks, and the services of an 18 wheeler accident lawyer in Houston may make all the difference.
AFTER AN ACCIDENT
These wrecks are extremely common on American roadways. Unfortunately, Houston is no exception. Given the large amount of roadways in Houston, any individual in the area may one day be involved in a wreck with a big rig, and the services that only an 18 wheeler accident lawyer in Houston can provide will be invaluable. If this happens, complete the following steps:
- Do not leave the scene of the incident. Remain at the site of the incident until police or medical assistance arrives.
- Do not admit responsibility.
- Immediately contact emergency medical services if any injury—even seemingly minor—is detected and get help. Minor injuries often turn out to be far more serious than they appear, and it is important that all injuries are documented.
- Call the police. Police will conduct an investigation of the incident. Record badge numbers and officer names. Ask an officer on the scene how to get a copy of the police report.
- Record as much information as possible about the incident and the scene. For every driver, passenger, and witness at the scene of the incident, record names, addresses, and telephone numbers, as well as insurance information for any other vehicles involved. If the owner of a vehicle involved is not present, record their information as well.
- Take photographs. Use your phone, camera, or another photo-taking device to photograph the site of the incident, as well as all vehicles involved in the incident.
- Consider contacting an 18 wheel accident lawyer in Houston. Trucking companies maintain legal teams that will be investigating the scene of a crash—likely within hours of the incident. Their goal is to accept as little responsibility as possible. Only with the assistance of an experienced 18 wheel accident lawyer in Houston can an individual get the results he or she deserves.