Have you or a loved one been prescribed the drug Tasigna® (nilotinib), a drug designed for the treatment of leukemia? This drug has been linked to atherosclerosis, artery disease, and strokes, yet doctors and their patients weren’t told. If you’ve been negatively impacted, now is the time to discuss your case with the Tasigna attorneys at Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law. You may be due significant compensation. Your initial consultation is free, so call us toll-free at 1-800-444-5000 today.
A Brief Description of Leukemia
The American Cancer Society defines leukemia as a cancer of early blood-forming cells. While it is most frequently a type of cancer affecting white blood cells, it has also been known to start in other types of blood cells. Leukemia is categorized into two broad categories:
- Acute – This is a fast-growing form of the disease.
- Chronic – This is the more slow-growing form of leukemia.
More specific forms of leukemia include:
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia in Adults: ALL, as it is sometimes referred to, starts in the marrow of bones, where blood cells are made.
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Known as AML, this acute form of leukemia is more common in older adults.
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: CLL originates in white blood cells in bone marrow and most frequently affects older adults.
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia: CML begins in the blood-forming cells in bone marrow and spreads to the blood in the body.
- Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia: Like CML, CMML starts in the blood-forming cells of bone marrow and spreads to the blood. It is more often found in older adults.
- Leukemia in Children: It is rare for leukemia in children to be chronic. Most are the ALL and AML forms of the disease.
The results of leukemia can be devastating emotionally and financially. When a drug is prescribed, it often offers hope. It shouldn’t result in more tragedy. If a family member has been negatively impacted by Tasigna, contact Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law at 800-444-5000, or locally in the Houston area at 713-973-8888. Ask about the no-risk, No Fee Guarantee® where you pay us only if you get paid.
What Tasigna was Intended to Do
In the case of Philadelphia chromosome-positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML), the drug Tasigna produced by Novartis was often prescribed. It was designed to inhibit the growth of cancer cells, slowing the spread of the disease. In many instances, however, it had tragic results.
The Severe Negative Impacts of Tasigna on Some Patients
Like many prescription drugs, Tasigna comes with a long list of precautions. It, however, has also been linked to a range of serious health issues, including atherosclerosis. The results of atherosclerosis can include:
- Carotid artery disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Heart attacks and strokes
- Coronary heart disease
- Peripheral artery disease
The Case Against Tasigna and Novartis
While the FDA approved Tasigna in 2007, atherosclerosis wasn’t mentioned as a potential side effect until a warning appeared on labels in Canada for the product in 2013. In 2016, a lawsuit in California was filed against the company following the death of a patient from complications of atherosclerosis after taking the drug. The lawsuit alleged that Novartis may have known about the complications as early as 2011 but did not make doctors or patients aware of the serious nature of the potential problems. This has resulted in a large number of lawsuits against the drug maker.
Funds are being recovered for:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Wrongful death… and more.
How We Can Help
Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law is a Texas law firm that has built a reputation for assisting those who have been negatively impacted by the actions, or lack of action, of others. The seasoned lawyers of the Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law Firm believe that responsible parties should be held accountable. We help clients resolve claims resulting from:
- Personal injury claims
- Vehicle accidents
- Nursing home injuries
- Product liability claims.
If you’ve been negatively impacted by the drug Tasigna produced by Novartis, put Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law to work for you. Call toll-free 1-800-444-5000 or fill out a FREE initial consultation form. In addition to a free initial consultation, our No Fee Guarantee® means you pay nothing unless you get paid. Don’t wait any longer for justice. Contact Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law today.