Bus Accident Lawyer Investigates If Anyone Is at Fault
Several factors can contribute to serious bus crashes and collisions involving commercial vehicles in general, including:
- Equipment failure: The vehicle may be equipped with faulty brakes or other damaged components that cause or contribute to the crash.
- Lack of proper maintenance: The fleet/vehicle owner failed to properly inspect and/or service the vehicle prior to commercial deployment.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs: The driver is impaired due to excessive alcohol consumption or the ingestion of prescription medication or illegal drugs.
- Aggressive driving: The driver ignores speed limits, runs a stop sign, abruptly changes lanes or cuts off other motorists, for example.
- Falling asleep while driving: The driver has spent more time behind the wheel than legally permissible by law.
Each case may constitute negligence on part of the driver, manufacturer or vehicle owner, and the responsible party can be held liable in a court of law. An experienced bus accident lawyer helps victims determine if negligence was involved, and whether legal action can be brought against the responsible party.
In addition, a qualified bus accident lawyer assists clients by:
- Conducting an in-depth investigation of the accident, including collection of evidence at the crash scene to build a solid claim.
- Negotiating fair settlements with insurance companies.
- Assessing total damages to the client, including medical bills, vehicle repairs if applicable, loss of income, ongoing therapy and treatment, pain and suffering, and loss of quality of life.
- Taking the case to trial if a fair settlement cannot be reached.