What Are The Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Houston?
Many factors contribute to motor vehicle collisions, such as traffic light timing, driver carelessness, vehicle malfunctions, and bad intersection design.
Recently, KHOU 11 News I-team collected five years of accident data for Harris County from the Texas Department of Transportation and were able to rank the top ten intersections in Houston that have the highest rate of crashes. They determined this by cross-referencing the data from the state along with measuring the volume of traffic on each road. Many of these intersections are along major highways and frontage roads, where drivers are already driving at a high rate of speed when approaching an intersection.
Here Are Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Houston:
- Number 10: 610 and Wallisville Road is one of the busiest trucking areas in Houston.
- Number 9: Highway 225 and Beltway 8 has a lot of traffic in the morning with a lot of sudden changing of lanes and intermixing accompanied with a short distance right turns.
- Number 8: Highway 59 and Highway 1960 is at an incline, which gives drivers a limited line of visibility when crossing this intersection.
- Number 7: Highway 6 and FM 529 has a very busy crossing at FM 529 so a high median was put in to prevent drivers from crossing.
- Number 6: Westheimer and Highway 6 has a light timing issue that causes a bottleneck in the intersection after the light turned red.
- Number 5: FM 1093 and Belway 8
- Number 4: Louetta RD and I-45
- Number 3: U.S. Route 90 Alt. and Betway 8
- Number 2: SH-249 and FM 2920
- Number 1: Beltway 8 and Genoa Red Bluff Road is a huge intersection, approximately three to four hundred feet from one side to another.