The Houston-area waterways are filling up with boating traffic as the weather gets warmer. May is a popular month to return to outdoor activities—such as boating—with kids getting out of school for summer vacation and the Memorial Day weekend.
It is important to be prepared before hitting the waterways.
Here is a checklist of things you should think about before heading to the boat launch:
- Life jackets—do you have enough life jackets for everyone on board? Are the life jackets a proper fit?
- Safety supplies—do you have a first aid kit if someone gets hurt? Do you have emergency supplies should you get stranded?
- Communication—do you have a method of contacting emergency responders for help if your cell phone cannot get service?
- Hydration—do you have plenty of water to keep everyone hydrated in the summer heat?
- Designated driver—do you have a designated driver if people will be consuming alcohol during your trip?
Think about these questions before boarding the boat so you are prepared, instead of after a tragedy happens and it is too late.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a boating accident, contact a board certified personal injury attorney to evaluate your potential claim.