The decision to hire a lawyer should be based on thorough research and a personal connection. Your lawyer should be someone with confidence and experience, but also someone you can trust and build a mutually respectful relationship with.
Before you meet with a lawyer, you need to determine what qualities are most important to you for the person who will represent your claim, such as knowledge, experience, and personality. Write down all the questions you want to ask that will confirm whether or not this lawyer is the right lawyer for your case.
There are several questions you can ask to verify an attorney’s experience and credentials, such as:
- How long have you been with this law firm?
- What is your experience with cases similar to mine?
- Have you handled cases in the courtroom?
- What percentage of your cases have had a successful outcome?
In addition, you also should ask questions about the law firm.
- What is the law firm’s core values?
- How can I get in contact with my lawyer when I need something?
- Who else will be involved in my case?
- What is the law firm’s approach to handling cases?
- What is my role in the legal process?
It’s important to listen to every answer and take notes. This way, you can compare the lawyers and law firms you meet with and make a well informed choice. Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification when you don’t understand something, and if you think of other questions, speak up.
Remember, choosing a lawyer is an important decision that may affect the outcome of your case. Although it’s imperative to get help immediately following your accident, make sure you take the necessary time to get to know the lawyer you hire.