eBook: An Overview for Texas Accident VictimsDOWNLOAD
After your car accident, there are many things you can do to protect your health and rights to compensation. But it can be difficult to remember which steps to take and in what order—especially when you’re dealing with the shock of the accident.
The Houston auto accident lawyers at Terry Bryant Accident & Injury Law want to help reduce the stress of the accident. Follow the steps below and give our lawyers a call at (800) 444-5000 or fill out a free initial consultation form.
10 TIPS TO FOLLOW AFTER THE ACCIDENT
Follow these practical tips to help build a strong auto accident claim:
- Get medical attention for anyone who is hurt. Drivers have a responsibility to keep their eyes and their attention on the road at all times. Texting, making phone calls, eating, changing the radio station, or updating a GPS can all lead to major accidents. If distracted driving is found to have caused an accident, the driver may be held liable—or legally responsible—for any injuries suffered in the crash.
- Call the police. By law, all accidents must be reported to the police. The police can also file an accident report that can serve as evidence for your claim.
- Get contact information. If possible, talk to the other drivers involved in the accident and get their contact information, including their names, phone numbers, and insurance information.
- Talk to witnesses. Get contact information for any witnesses to the accident. Witness statements can be valuable evidence for your Houston car accident lawyer.
- Take pictures of the accident. Photograph your car, the other driver’s car, the road, and any debris from the accident. This evidence can help prove the other driver’s negligence.
- Don’t admit fault. Even if you think you may be partially at fault, it’s important you don’t volunteer that information to police, other drivers, or the insurance company. Admitting fault can jeopardize your claim.
- Write down what happened. As soon as you’re able, write down what happened in the accident. Include details like the lane you were traveling in, the time of day, weather and road conditions, and other details that may have contributed to the accident.
- Report the accident to your insurance company. Report the accident to your insurance company, but don’t accept a settlement offer. If you do, you could void your chance to get compensation for the accident.
- Avoid social media. Don’t talk about your accident on social media websites. Insurance adjusters may try to discredit your claim by using statements or even pictures posted to social media websites.
- Get a lawyer. An experienced Houston auto accident attorney from Terry Bryant can protect you from the insurance company.
After your car accident, don’t call just any law firm—call Terry Bryant. We have years of experience helping auto accident victims move forward with their lives, and we’ll do our best to help you, too. Contact us today.